While divorce is always stressful, it is compounded for those who have suffered through a violent marriage. Living through domestic violence is grueling enough, but divorcing a violent spouse comes with its own dangers. If your life is in danger, you should seek safety first and foremost. Call the police, file a restraining order, and get away from your abuser, if possible.
Many spouses of violent individuals are afraid of the potential for physical harm or further abuse that can ensue when they attempt to divore the violator. But leaving the home may impact your rights to alimony and child support. In these cases, it is critical to get help from a highly experienced divorce lawyer in New York who specializes in domestic violence cases.
The experienced domestic violence divorce attorney Ryan Besinque understand the legal, emotional, and physical issues that surround leaving a domestic abuser. We help clients who are seeking to escape abuse by:
- Advising them on filing orders of protection, temporary restraining orders, exclusion orders, or emergency protection
- Guiding them in the implementation of a critical safety plan for themselves and their children
- Protecting children from dangerous or damaging custody situations
- Seeking ample spousal and child support that the family will need to go forward
- Protecting the family as they move on with their future
While domestic violence is a real and serious problem in New York, there are some instances when a spouse has been wrongfully accused of domestic violence and abuse during a divorce proceeding. Some spouses find themselves fighting accusations that will impact:
- Being able to share custody and visitation of their children
- Their relationship with their children
- Exclusion from their home
- Unfair criminal charges
- Experiencing future reputation and employment damage even though they may not be convicted
The court’s main objective is to ensure that no spouse or child should be the subject of domestic violence and they have been known to be overzealous in this respect. Having an experienced New York domestic violence lawyer at your service is essential to ensure that your rights and those of your family are being protected. Speak with the team of top-notch lawyers led by Ryan Besinque Esq today (929) 251-4477.